Sunday, April 15, 2018

A little excursion on the property.

We had quite the rainfall the other day (and now have lots of new bugs to show for it).
So yesterday we went around the property to check the roads had not had any mud slides or rock falls. Some of the roads are new and until they "settle" this can happen when it rains.
We also planned on going to the beach for more clean up there.

So off we went, I of course took my camera, never leave the house without it. It has been very quiet in the last few days with regards to monkeys so was not expecting to see any.

We went off in the truck and took a road we don't usually take .. OK we got a bit lost. But what a nice lost it was! I heard some birds so we turned off the engine and I got out and waited a while. It was in a shady area and I just waited and listened. Sure enough I heard something and located it and snapped some pictures. Sometimes I just aim at the subject and snap a load of pics and hope for the best!
I was able to add some new birds to my growing list!
Masked Tityra

Back view of the Male Striped Cuckoo

and then he sweetly turned around and raised his crown! <3
I got two more birds in my lens but they were very poor images and I think not new birds for me. The Male Barred Antshrike and the TK.

So we moved on after waiting around for a bit longer. I will go back to that spot though as there was lots of activity. While we were there we heard the Howler Monkeys and I was praying they would be near the road. Sure enough as we turned the corner there they were in a big tree by the road. It looked like they were eating the new buds.

Male Howler Monkey (LOL)

So excited to see a baby near its Mum. You can see mum's tail for size comparison!

Peek-a-Boo!

Mum then carried it off to the other side of the tree

Just standing guard

I like this one as I got the light on his face.
While we were taking pictures of the monkeys I also got a few new birds too.

Striped Throat Hermit Hummingbird. Richard spotted this one and I could not believe how good the image turned out as he was way high up in the tree tops.

I had taken a picture of a Male Lance Tailed Manakin the other day but it was really bad. This one is a bit better as you can see the blue on his wings. I have to keep trying...need a better shot of this beautiful bird. You can see his long lance tail!!
We stopped a few times along the road but didn't find any more birds. I did see what I thought was an empty wasp nest .. then when I got home and blew it up I realized it was very active! UM...apparently there are African Killer Bees here ... but they don't harm you unless you threaten their nest ... I won't go near this again..not sure what kind they are LOL

Thanks for stopping by! Lots of nature pics ... road trips planned for next week!

Sue and her Side Kick

2 comments:

  1. Love ll the photos and reading about the adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots Sue! Stay away from those bees! Love the hummingbird shots too-so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete